It seems like it would be a simple decision when choosing hardwood flooring: choosing Canadian-made wood vs. imported wood. But, it’s not.
Imported wood makes up a huge proportion of the flooring options available, especially from China and the United States. In fact, there is an epidemic of illegally harvested Russian wood that is shipped to China, manufactured with toxic chemicals, and sold in Canada with a Canadian label (even when it is obvious that the type of wood is Asian).
It is our mission at United Floors in Courtenay to make sure our suppliers and products are labelled accurately and continue to be the high quality product that Canadian hardwood is known for.
There are 5 great reasons to choose Canadian-made hardwood flooring:
- All Canadian made hardwood floors carry a FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) Certification. This certification ensures that products come from responsibly managed forests that are evaluated to meet FSC’s strict environmental and social standards.
- Most manufactures are sourcing their hardwood from eastern Canada and northern US because Western lumber is too soft due to the climate. Quality Canadian processing is important in creating a long-lasting floor.
- Canadian manufacturers work hard to minimize wood waste. Only 5% of the tree is not used, which is generally just the top branches of the tree.
- Canadian manufacturers follow strict health guidelines, while China uses chemicals such as urea-formaldehyde.
- Buying Canadian supports Canadian forestry, manufactures and Canadian suppliers!
We would love to show you our 6,000 square foot showroom with over 12 different hardwood suppliers and manufactures each showcasing different species, constructions and price points. Our showroom sales staff are friendly and knowledgeable and can’t wait to help you find the perfect hardwood flooring to make a lasting and beautiful addition to your home.
Win a Bissell BigGreen Electric Sweeper!
This month we’re giving away a Bissell BigGreen Electric Sweeper to one lucky email subscriber!
The Cordless Electric Sweeper is surprisingly lightweight and powerful for its size. With a 90-minute running time, the battery-powered roller brush sweeps dirt and bulkier items into its dustpan, which is easily removed for emptying. The Cordless Electric Sweeper comes with a wall mount for out of sight storage and includes a compact power adapter for charging. We carry a huge inventory of cleaning supplies and have the knowledge to help you remove just about any stain!
Simply join our mailing list for a chance to win this awesome tool that makes bare floor cleanup easy! One lucky subscriber will be chosen at random September 1.